Saturday, June 13, 2009

Calm before the storm

What have I been up to the last 4 months? Well, I can't decide if it sounds like a little or a lot (although I am definitely in shock that 2009 is almost half over...I think I need to spend more time in waiting rooms so that time doesn't move so quickly), but here's what I've been up to...

...traveling, including to Hawaii (Feb/Mar) to visit my sis and enjoy a week of couple time (thanks, grandparents!),

to Oregon (Mar/Apr) to visit my family,
to California (Apr/May) for work and to give a seminar...

...sewing sewing sewing - lots of Picnic Pouches (reusable snack/lunch bags), PUAG blankets/play mats, and custom lunch bags, among other things...May was the busiest month yet for Cascade Lemonade...


...and writing writing writing - parts of 3 manuscripts/thesis chapters, innumerable grant applications, etc.

Calm? Well, I guess it's all relative, but I definitely feel the anticipation and anxiety of the upcoming summer field season. Wednesday, we leave MA for 2.5 months (11 weeks, to be exact) in CA, where I will be coordinating a summer research program for 10 undergraduates, advising 2 graduate and 1 undergraduate research projects, and finishing up my own Ph.D. research....in addition to trying to be a halfway decent parent and spouse and daughter, etc. It's sounding like kind of a tall order right now, especially with the packing only barely started, so I'm glad I've been able to relax a bit over the last month - save up my energy. I've had some time for frivolous fun like making collages...

reading (finally finished 'Dune' and just started 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy')...

and taking a short family vacation to Cape Cod.

Now, it's just a matter of crossing the last 'to do's' off my list and getting to the airport and onto the jet headed west...!

No comments: