Saturday, August 23, 2008

First Pattern

I continue to be a very busy bee keeping my research experiments going here in California - plus preparing for a lab seminar on Monday and to head back to Massachusetts on Wednesday. I haven't had much time for my fun pursuits over the last 6 weeks, but I did manage to cross one of my new year's resolutions off the list: I completed my first sewing pattern, for my Mylarkey Lunch Bag! Before we left, I photographed all the steps of lunch bag construction, and I had time to write up the 'protocol' right when I got to California (when I was waiting for all of my research supply orders!). I also listed the pattern in the shop before I had actually completed it. Once it sold, that was some real motivation to get it finished (since I agree to email it within 48 hrs)!

I've also started offering do-it-yourself kits for the lunch bags - which include the pattern and all of the necessary materials - because a few of the materials are somewhat specialized (especially the Insul-Bright insulation and wide velcro). And guess what! The 'do-it-yourself' kit was featured by Etsy on their daily 'Etsy Finds' email called 'Lunch time!'. This daily email apparently goes out to a list of about 14,000 Etsy-ans! That was quite flattering, and business was hopping that day! Here's the text from the email (there was also a photo of the lunch bags):

August 13, 2008
This fall, say goodbye to boring brown bags, take-out containers and the small mountain of sandwich bags you use every week, and say hello to handmade totes, lunch sacks, and other unique food receptacles on Etsy.
Complete Do-it-yourself Kit - Mylarkey Lunch Bag

Get crafting and make your own lunch tote with a kit by cascadelemonade, $12.


I've been saving up ideas for blog posts, so hopefully you'll find me updating more frequently from here on out. For now, I'm headed back to working on my talk...and maybe I should get some shut-eye to prepare for another ~7 hours looking through a microscope tomorrow!

No comments: